When it comes to art mediums, there isn't anything else which approaches the easy-to-use appeal of colored pencils. And since you've been writing and coloring since kindergarten, there's a very low intimidation factor to colored pencil.
But the universal appeal also has it's downside.
Colored pencils are trendy right now which means there is a lot of bad information and terrible technique on the internet. Self-professed experts are recommending expensive pencil sets without an artist's understanding of pigments & binders, good technique, or the needs of beginners. When you do find a reliable pencil authority, the information is usually slanted towards experienced users and advanced techniques.
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and colored pencil specialist for an in-depth look at her favorite colored pencil techniques.
Colored Pencil Plus is a unique approach to coloring with colored pencils. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory in an easy to understand, easy to apply method which moves beyond craft-level coloring.
Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge and instincts to color an endless variety of images for the rest of your life.
Colored Pencil Plus is the first step towards coloring independently, in your own unique style, and with more accurate realism.
In this twelve-week beginner level course, Amy covers basic colored pencil techniques and general know-how, giving students a good understanding of both how colored pencils work and how to work colored pencils.
This Course is Ideal for:
- Complete Beginners who have never touched a marker before
- Self Taught Colorers who feel as if they've missed the big secret to amazing coloring
- Unconfident Colorers who still encounter problems with blending, shading, or developing convincing depth
- Frustrated Colorers who struggle when coloring unfamiliar stamps
- Habitual Colorers stuck in a rut where every project looks the same
Dreaming Colorers who want to push beyond craft level coloring into creative and artistic self-expressio
Twelve Week Course includes:
- 12 weeks of coloring lessons: 30 to 60 minutes of clear technique instruction
- guided coloring video for every project
- mid-week supplementals to spark further thought
- 16 PNG digital stamps (also PDF and JPG alternate formats)
- bonus supplementals and consumer information
- multiple instructional handouts, designed to complement each week's video lesson
- exclusive Colored Pencil Plus Forums for instructor guidance, help, Q&A
- colored pencil pigments- understanding the unique traits of colored pencils
- pencil care and maintenance
- colored pencil substrates- papers, boards, and alternative surfaces
- basic pencil strokes
- how to blend colored pencils without the use of solvents or oil
- troubleshooting and correcting mistakes
- introduction to coloring for depth
- introduction to coloring for shape
- introduction to coloring for balance
- using colored pencil as the focus of mixed media projects
- increasing your unique artistry
- Prismacolor Premier colored pencils
- Paper (various)
- Watercolor media (artist grade)
- Miscellaneous supplies (watercolor brushes,
This course includes exclusive Colored Pencil Plus Forums:
Use and participation of the forums is optional, however instructor feedback is exclusively provided in the forums. Students may submit completed assignments via the designated forum for assessment and assistance. Instructor to student and student to student interaction is encouraged to maximize the feedback and support you need to improve your coloring skills.
Join anytime. Work at your own pace.
Get started now!
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and she started with DeSign markers in 1989. Colored pencils with a base of either marker or watercolor is her preferred process for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by adding established fine art techniques to their coloring projects.
Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
StartGeneral Information & Supply Shopping List
StartPLEASE READ - Colored Pencil Plus Forums
StartSurvey- You and your goals
StartRead: Measuring Growth
StartBaby Pictures: Pansy Trio
StartRead & Print: Workbook Pages
StartEager to get started?
StartA Note on Video Downloads
StartThe Monday & Friday Plan
StartTechnique Video: Get a Grip! (14:01)
StartRead & Print: Magic & Masking
StartAssignment: Pencil Control- Periwinkle
StartProject Printables: Periwinkle
StartVideo Demo 1: Periwinkle (Prep Work) (12:45)
StartVideo Demo 2: Periwinkle (Green) (45:56)
StartVideo Demo 3; Periwinkle (Violet) (51:22)
StartVideo Demo 4: Periwinkle (Clean Up) (4:51)
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just coloring, it's sooooooooo much more."
Frequently Asked Questions
Join anytime. Work at your own pace.