Introduction to Push & Pull to Create Logical Depth
New to Copic Markers? New to Vanilla Arts Classes? This class is perfect for beginners and casual colorers.
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a fun butterfly lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the future.
This class is an excellent starter lesson.
Skill Level: beginner
In a 15 minute technique lesson, Amy covers her Push & Pull pulling technique which helps students visually layer objects to create depth in their coloring projects.
Then in a one hour, fully narrated coloring demonstration, students practice the Push & Pull technique on the Flutterby project. This project is more than simply coloring the same thing over and over. Each butterfly sits in front of something or behind something else; Amy walks you through the reasoning process helping you decide if the wing needs to be pushed or pulled. It's a lot of fun but it's fun with a purpose! You'll definitely have a firmer understanding of how to shade objects for depth by the end of this project.
Other techniques put to use in Flutterby:
- Color Bounce
- Color Kissing
- Temperture Balance
- Basic techniques for technical pen and colored pencil details
Two Hour Course includes:
- 15 minute video- deep-dive look at the Push & Pull technique
- 60 minute video- color along style instructional video
- Flutterby digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map
- bonus guide: push & pull for florals
- discussion board (on this class site, not at Patreon)
Required Supplies: full supply list included in class package
- high-quality marker cardstock (X-Press It Blending Card recommended)
- Copic Markers- C5, B63, B66, Y35, Y38, YR15
- fine-line technical pens- two black Multiliners, sized 0.7 and 0.2 or 0.3
- artist quality colored pencils- Black, Indigo Blue, Crimson Red, Yellowed Orange, Lemon Yellow, White, Lilac, Light Aqua
- white pens- Uniball Signo White #153, Sharpie Poster Paint Pen, water based, extra fine point, white
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and she started with DeSign markers in 1989. Colored pencils with a base of either marker or watercolor is her preferred process for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by adding established fine art techniques to their coloring projects.
Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"