Introduction to Grisaille Underpainting for Realism
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a live coloring demonstration. Real coloring in real time.
Are you ready for realistic coloring?
Online video classes are not real, at least not real in the way you assume.
The projects are planned months in advance. The lessons are tested and simplified. The demonstration is rehearsed. The footage is shot multiple times and edited for clarity. The script is….well, it’s a script!
Everything about an online art class is designed to make the project look easy and amazing.
But that's not how real art works
Vanilla Livestream breaks the production barrier, giving you a real look into the real time artistic process.
Gray Matter is an intermediate level demonstration
We welcome colorers of many levels at Vanilla Arts, but basic marker painting techniques are not covered in this class.
Advanced classes assume you’ve mastered basic techniques and are ready for independent work using artistic skills. Read more about Vanilla skill levels here.
Skill Level: Intermediate
We do not recommend this course for first time Vanilla students.
- Push & Pull
- Overpainting with colored pencils
- 15 minute Technique Deep Dive video - introducing the underpainting technique and how we can use it with markers to increase realism.
- A 13 minute Technique Deep Dive video - introducing Color Runs, how to create and use color runs for added realism.
- Almost 2 hours of video demonstration. Work at your own pace.
- Gray Matter digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- Recipe guide
- Printable photo reference, underpainting guide, detailed color map, and full color sample
Basic computer skills are required to access class materials.
If you struggle with websites, video players, downloads, printing digital files, and communicating in discussion forums, this course may not be right for you.
We recommend that you try our FREE More Than Luck course to get a feel for how our site works and the type of computer skills you'll need to make the most of your learning experience here.
Required Supplies: printable supply list included in class package
- High-quality Copic friendly marker cardstock (X-Press It Blending Card is highly recommended.)
- Copic Markers
- Artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)
- Mod Podge brush or Hake dusting brush.
- Clipboard or hard surface (glass mat is recommended)
- Pencil, pencil sharpener
- Drafting tape.
- Erasers - black and white polymer, white sticky tack, Tombow Mono Zero (round).
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and she started with DeSign markers in 1989. Colored pencils with a base of either marker or watercolor is her preferred process for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by adding established fine art techniques to their coloring projects.
Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.