New to Copic Markers?
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for an introduction to painting with markers- Vanilla Arts style!
Coloring blogs and internet tutorials have a major drawback- they are almost always demonstrations rather than instruction. Copy-cat or "do what I do" style videos can only teach you to mimic the instructor. Sure, you can color that same image by following along, but what happens when you want to color a different image, one you haven't yet seen demonstrated?
Uh oh... now you're stuck.
Marker Painting is a new approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge and instincts to color an endless variety of images for the rest of their lives.
Marker Painting Foundations is the first step towards coloring independently and with more accurate realism.
In this twelve week beginner level course, Amy covers basic marker techniques and general know-how, giving students a good understanding of both how markers work and how to work markers.
Are you looking for depth and dimension in your coloring?
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring.
Well, actually it's the classic approach to creating art, learning to use your Copic Markers the way an artist uses paint.
Marker Painting breaks all the crafty coloring laws and the copy-cat approach to instruction. Art based painting technique sets you free from marker tutorials, recipes, and all the supposed rules that actually lock you into flat and simplistic coloring.
You can learn to color independently.
You can get realism and amazing depth from your Copics.
This Course is Ideal for:
- Complete Beginners who have never touched a marker before
- Self Taught Colorers who feel as if they've missed the big secret to amazing coloring
- Unconfident Colorers who still encounter problems with blending, shading, or developing convincing depth
- Frustrated Colorers who struggle when coloring unfamiliar stamps
- Habitual Colorers stuck in a rut where every project looks the same
Dreaming Colorers who want to push beyond craft level coloring into creative and artistic self-expression
Twelve Week Course includes:
- 12 weeks of coloring lessons-
- 30 to 60 minutes of clear technique instruction
- guided coloring video for every project
- mid-week supplementals to spark further thought
- 16 PNG digital stamps (also JPG and PDF alternate formats)
- bonus supplementals and consumer information
- multiple instructional handouts, designed to complement each week's video lesson
- discussion board for instructor guidance, help, Q&A
- marker ink- understanding how ink works
- marker care and maintenance
- marker papers and cardstocks
- basic marker strokes
- color blending fundamentals
- troubleshooting and correcting mistakes
- introduction to coloring for depth
- introduction to coloring for shape
- introduction to coloring for balance
- marker limitations
- X-Press It Blending Card or similar high-quality marker cardstock
- Copic Markers - downloadable master supply list included with class purchase.
- Artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier pencils recommended)
- Uniball Signo White
- Uni Posca Paint Pen Extra Fine, White
This course includes a private Marker Painting Foundations Forum:
Use and participation of the forum is optional, however instructor feedback is exclusively provided in the forum. Students may submit completed assignments via the designated forum for assessment and assistance. Instructor to student and student to student interaction is encouraged to maximize the feedback and support you need to improve your coloring skills.
Join anytime. Work at your own pace.
Get started now!
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and she started with DeSign markers in 1989. Colored pencils with a base of either marker or watercolor is her preferred process for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by adding established fine art techniques to their coloring projects.
Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
StartGeneral Information Page & Supply Shopping List
StartClass Materials FAQ
StartMarker Painting Foundations Forums - Please Read
StartVideo: Starting Over (11:02)
StartSurvey- You and your goals
StartRead: Measuring Growth
StartAssignment: Popsicle Trio (digi stamps here)
StartRead & Print: Workbook Pages
StartA Note on Video Downloads
"I have used Copic markers for years and considered myself a pretty good 'colorer'. That was, until I found Amy Shulke's Marker Painting Foundations course. As I went through the course, I learned how to create dimension and realism in my projects. I LOVE how Amy gives you the 'why's' instead of the 'follow what I do's'. Marker Painting Foundations has changed the way I 'see' color and taken me from 'colorer' to 'artist'.
THANK YOU Amy!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
Frequently Asked Questions
Join anytime. Work at your own pace.