Creating crisp edges + reading photo references
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a fun and informative coloring lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, depth, and form. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the future.
Satin Gift requires confident Copic and colored pencil skills. Basic blending techniques are not covered in this class.
Skill Level: intermediate
In a 15 minute Technique Deep Dive lesson, Amy shows you the importance of creating soft highlights for greater realism.
Then in a 5 part series of fully narrated coloring demonstration videos, students will practice coloring the Satin Gift image. Instruction includes all elements, the cast shadowing, base markering, and technical pen & pencil details to make the gift & ornaments appear dimensional yet accurately shaded. A full 97 minutes of total project demonstration time.
- Swish & Flick
- Push & Pull
- Detail work with technical pen
- Detail work with colored pencils
- Lambswool and soft stroke techniques
- 15 minutes of Technique Deep Dive video - the importance of creating soft highlights for greater realism
- 20 minutes of demonstration video - Introduction & Copic coloring process for light grey stripes
- 20 minutes of demonstration video - Copic coloring process for dark grey stripes and ornaments
- 17 minutes of demonstration video - Copic coloring process for red bow
- 19 minutes of demonstration video - the Technical Pen & Colored Pencil detail coloring process for stripes
- 20 minutes of demonstration video - the Colored Pencil coloring process for ornaments & red bow
- Digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- printable photo reference, underpainting guide, detailed color map, marker-only sample and full color sample
Required Supplies: printable supply list included in class package
- high-quality Copic friendly marker cardstock (X-Press It Blending Card is highly recommended.)
- Copic Markers
- artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)
- technical pen ( Staedtler Triplus Fineliners 0.3 recommended)
- Tombow Mono Zero eraser (round)
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and she started with DeSign markers in 1989. Colored pencils with a base of either marker or watercolor is her preferred process for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by adding established fine art techniques to their coloring projects.
Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."